Saturday 2 June 2012

From the Farmers' Market

I made my first visit of the year to our local farmers' market this morning. We used to go to the St. Lawrence Market at 7am every Saturday, hangover or shine, but we were spending a lot of money (mostly on breakfast) and never sleeping in. When we started getting organic fruit and veggie delivery, we took a break. I work close to SLM, so the regular stalls in the south market are always available. What you can't get during the week is the local/free range eggs, and I've been missing those. So my goal for this morning was to source some eggs and maybe get some rhubarb and strawberries.

As published in their weekly newsletter, there were eggs, but they were $6/dozen. The family who sells eggs on Saturdays at SLM charge $3.85 for a dozen large. I bought the eggs this week, and we'll see what they are like, but I will keep looking to see if I can find a slightly cheaper dozen. It may well be that's the going rate, and if that's the case, I'll buy from my farmers' market for simplicity sake.

Rhubarb was also available, so I bought a bunch ($4) that I turned into a super delicious and comforting crumble tonight. There were no strawberries, but it was a long shot, and strawberries are so stressful anyways, as it's a race against the clock before they rot.

So a small haul this week, but I was excited to find such a vibrant and varied farmers' market within walking distance from home. If I'm lucky, maybe I can haul D out of bed to join me next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment